Friday, February 22, 2013

Homemade Gajar Ka Halwa

It's almost the end of the winter season, and I suddenly realized yesterday that I hadn't made gajar ka halwa even once this season! I checked in my refrigerator and discovered that I had plenty of carrots, but no khoya/mawa. So I decided to take some extra milk from our local milkman in the evening, and made this yum gajar ka halwa for dinner last night! I added a bit of microwave cooking in this recipe, to cut down on the cooking time. Here's how I did it.




INGREDIENTS:
2 large fresh carrots
500 ml milk
1 tbsp ghee (here's the recipe for my homemade ghee)
1.5 tbsp sugar (more if you prefer sweeter)
pinch of cardamom powder
2 cashew nuts for garnish




METHOD:

  • Peel, wash and grate the carrots.
  • Put the grated carrots in a microwave-proof container with lid, and microwave on P100 for 2 minutes (refer pic 1).
  • Heat the ghee in a heavy bottom container on the gas stove, and add the micro-cooked grated carrots, along with the cardamom powder.
  • Saute for about 2 minutes, till it starts emitting that delicious roasted smell (refer pic 2).
  • Add the milk and keep stirring off and on (on medium to high flame), till the milk dries up (refer pic 3).
  • Add the sugar now and roast for another minute or so, till the sugar melts and the halwa starts looking like it's supposed to look (refer pic 4).
  • Take it out in a large serving bowl (or serve directly in smaller individual bowls) and garnish with split cashew nuts.


Dad and I had this for dessert last night, but if it had been a between-the-meals snack, I would have served it in my usual style -- with tea and papad! Also, neither of us (Dad or me) likes dry fruits in our gajar ka halwa, so I didn't add any, but you can mix in some if you like.

Here's more in Recipes from miss_teerious!

Want to say something? Leave a comment!




Subscription Options:
Get new posts delivered via email. (Completely SPAM-FREE!)
Enter your email ID:



OR subscribe via any of these:



4 comments:

Shilpa Garg said...

Looks so very tempting! I want to have a bowl full of it NOW!! :D

Chicky a.k.a. Kaddu said...

Come over... will make some for u... then u can try it with tea & papad! :p

Abhiroop Banerjee said...

Gorgeous.

Chicky a.k.a. Kaddu said...

Isn't it? :D

Post a Comment

If you're not a blogger, you can comment with your Google Account (gmail ID).

To receive email reply to your comment, check "Notify me" below the comment box.

And don't forget to follow miss_teerious via Blogger / Bloglovin' / Facebook / Twitter / Email!! (Don't worry, I hate spam too!)